Saturday, March 18, 2006

Weegie Comedy Festival

Tonight, after a blazin' row about being on the computer too much (he's right), we went through to Glasgow on the train to take in a show at the Comedy Festival. We did this last year, same venue. It was a 2 for 1 tickets with multiple acts. Last year, we saw a really funny young guy, "the UK's only deaf comedian", and a guy hilariously talking about his depression, only to skulk off the stage to drink and stare at the wall moodily. All in all, a good time and a good value.

O'Neill's is a really obnoxious place cos it has room to hold about a hundred fifty people, but only about 15 chairs. So I had to stand, really aggravating my back. The three acts (less value for money this year, as we saw at least four guys) were all women, which was disappointing to the Boy. He usually does not have the typically male idea that anything women do that men can do is inherently rubbish and of lesser value ('Women's football? Shite.'), but he did seem to about these comedians. They were alright -- Frances Healy, Viv Gee and Janey Goldey, with Viv Gee being the agreed best. Save the compere (emcee), who was a man and alright by the Boy.

This year, all the performers were Scottish with rather broad accents which made for difficult night for me. I could only understand about every other word and only every fourth word of the compere. He was really killing me. I made a recording to see if you had the same difficulty. Sorry, the recording is a bit rubbish -- didn't hold the phone properly. The second one is Janey Goldey, but she's a bit clearer.

Of course, Boy could understand just about everything they all were saying and found it surprising that I couldn't. The Edinburgh accent is very mild and posh Edinburghers can sound very English. So all other Scottish accents are very broad to my ear and hard for me to get. The Boy had the same problem in the States, though. We went to see Bruce Bruce (black comedian, if you've never heard of the guy). I spent the whole of the night translating for Boy.

this is an audio post - click to play
this is an audio post - click to play

5 Comments:

Blogger Zandra Towns said...

I couldn't understand a word of what that first guy said!! The lady was only a little better. Of course it might have been your recording, it was rubbish. Did yo might up from the "row". (giggle) That kills me ..."row"

Sunday 19 March 2006 at 19:03:00 GMT  
Blogger Autumn said...

I can't understand YOU. What does "did yo might up from the 'row'" mean? Did we make up? Indeed. Mummy and Daddy won't be getting a divorce today.

Sunday 19 March 2006 at 20:00:00 GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, the woman is somewhat easier; however, if I could play it slower I might get at least 1/3 of her conversation. Did I hear her use the "F..." expletive deletive??

Monday 20 March 2006 at 22:39:00 GMT  
Blogger Autumn said...

Uh... yeh. She is SCOTTISH.

Monday 20 March 2006 at 22:54:00 GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meaning Scottish all use expletive deletives??

Tuesday 21 March 2006 at 23:01:00 GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home