Monday, March 13, 2006

Yeh, I sure be Chinese

So I was lamenting the fact that I didn't know Chinese to my amah. She said I should learn, get a tutor or something. Great idea, except I'd only be able to talk the tutor. She then suggested that me, her and my sister learn together and then speak to each other.

Not that our conversations were loud enough already.

Actually, I think it's a great idea. Now I've got to get my ma's on Skype. And if you're not on it, shame on you.

As I was leaving volleyball training, we were talking about our Christmas night out. We went to this Chinese restaurant which served us the worst Chinese food I've ever had. And that is saying something because the Chinese food in Edinburgh is right shitty. Honestly, the worst Chinese food in Durham or anywhere else in the States is better than the best over here. This place we went at Christmas had burnt egg drop soup and dried marinated ribs -- how you can do the latter, I don't know. I said that the people who cooked and served the food were a shame to the race, and that I should know, cos I'm Chinese.

Everyone looked at me as if I were mad and didn't say anything. Maybe they assume that all Americans call themselves Chinese, even when they clearly weren't.

My amah thinks that I look like a cute little Asian girl in all my snow pictures. Ma, I said, you and the family are the only ones who think I look Chinese. NOOOOOObody else does. But now that I've gotten all scarily pale, you can see the yellow come out. No, look closely.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yerse, yous looking v. chugokujin these days. i think it would be v. useful for you to learn cantonese to speak w/ family members on the phone in public. recall how we all thought everyone in h.k. was mad at each other?

Friday 17 March 2006 at 03:15:00 GMT  
Blogger Autumn said...

Why couldn't we find anyone who spoke English in HK? I tell everyone that story and they think I'm mad.

Friday 17 March 2006 at 18:01:00 GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home