Sunday, January 22, 2006

My narcissim?

OK, the Boy wasn't as amused with my lasting posting as I was (see Saturday 21/01, My dyslexic dog). I have signed a confidentiality agreement and cannot discuss the nature of our argument, but what I will say is that he accused me of being narcisstic with my blog.

His comments reminded me of an amusing new something I've found online. Now that I have the mobile (we don't call it a cell -- I just get funny looks about that) (made my first call and text successfully; the girls in the car when I phoned said I looked very "natural" as I spoke and didn't do the "loudly speaking mum" thingie, so I felt good), I was looking for something to download onto the phone to listen to.

This search led to my first foray into podcasts. I didn't know much about them, but from what I gathered from Wikipedia, they were audio snippets people put together about something that interested them. This led me to iTunes, which listed hundreds of podcasts I could download for free. Getting better. What did I get?
Most of TV ones were disappointing. It was 30 minutes of people waxing on about the episode and never giving a synopsis. The Gilmore Girls one is the worst! It was narrated by a married couple obviously knew everything there was to know about the show. They were just going on and on, no periods in their sentences ("And then... you know... then what happened was... and it was just like Episode number 14 when Rory... it was so funny cos...) and just rambling. It was incredibly narcissitic. (Do have a listen though, even for a few minutes, and even if you don't watch the show, as the podcast is very funny.)

And so maybe the Boy does have a point. Maybe all of us buggers (excuse me, bloggers) are navel gazing, self-centred narcissists. However, I want you to know that my narcissism is tongue-in-cheek! Take the titles of my blogs -- most of them, save (Untitled) and the first one, begin with the word 'my'. Firstly, it's an homage to the TV show Scrubs, which names each of their episodes always 'My Something-or-other'. Secondly, it's supposed be ironic, or Alanis Morissette's definition of ironic, as in I'm so self-centred it will all be about MOI!

Truly, I write this for my loved ones, hoping they are interested in the little things I do since I'm so far away from them. I wish I could see each of you every day, for if I did, I would share all these bizarre things (ie, dog talking) and mundane things (ie, had a venison dinner Saturday night; not enough salt) with you in person. I mean, when we share the events of our lives with our friends (and, sometimes in desperation, total strangers) aren't we are being just a bit self-centred, and even a wee bit narcissistic? Isn't sharing our woes and joys with people the only way of getting through this mad, mixed up world? Bottling it up will just make is even more crazy. Or incredibly poor with the enormous therapy bills we would have. ('What do you mean I can't come back in an hour?') Or British.

So I hope you enjoy my narcissism. I will be continuing. And I hope you take the time to be a little "narcissistic" today -- it will probably make you feel better. Add your comments below or just email me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zandra Towns said...

I LOVE your narcissism!!! And I understand you so I get the irony and the humor. I laughed my ass off about the dog talking and the back stories. I even remember us doing something like that when we were kids! So continue and I will keep reading. love you.

Sunday 22 January 2006 at 23:24:00 GMT  
Blogger Autumn said...

I can always count on you kid. Luv ya back.

Monday 23 January 2006 at 11:33:00 GMT  
Blogger Autumn said...

Blakie! It's fucking cool to hear from you!

Thursday 26 January 2006 at 18:02:00 GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home