Saturday, April 08, 2006

Mischief

Newest obsession: entering online competitions.

They are everywhere over here. Not only that, there's this money saving website that has a forum where people list competitions. I've spent the past two days trolling through it and entering every competition under the sun. The key is that you don't use your regular email address to sign up for the comp, cos then you'll be inundated with spam. If you want to set up a comp email address, I'll give you an invite to googlemail. Just email me.

Went to the sale room (aka, auction house to Americans; I don't think people call it that here) with Mil on Thursday as that is when they sell all their tat (picked up a laundry basket for dirty clothes for only £1). While there, we spied two dining sets that were nice and being sold in the Saturday sale.

The problem: I liked the table from the first set and the chairs from the second. After consulting Boy, we decided to go for the first set, as the table was a really nice, solid pine farmhouse-style and, although I hated the chairs, I could always cover them with fabric or paint them. The guy in the sales-room thought it might go for £60-£100 ($100-$180), so we set £100 as our limit.

Wish I could tell you that we won, but alas, no. Went for £150 ($260). I wasn't really bothered, like I said, I hated the chairs. They had this wicker thing going on that was a little too rustic for me.
The other set sold for £75 and while the bidding was slowing, the Boy was wildly waving for me to bid. I was reluctant to do so, even though loving the funky 1920s chairs cos I impulsively bought two of these chairs. They are called Edinburgh chairs, which I'm pretty sure are Victorian, and they were only £20 ($35) for the set! At least this way, we don't have to get rid of our old (well, really new, just had it a few months) Ikea table, have to find a mover to move the new table and chair, don't have to think about where to store the old table until someone bought it/came to get it, etc., etc. However, they are a bit knackered and Boy wasn't keen on them. Oops!

After the sale-room fun, we took the dogs for a walk to the beach in Portobello. The weather went hay-wire today. It was hailing, raining and snowing with gusts. Then, as we took our walk, it was beautiful. Crazy. The weather was mad. Any minute I thought I was going to see Moses say, "Pharaoh, let my people go, or I'll be sending the frogs next." Truly wild. Here's a picture (yes, Samantha was eating the sand, that's why her nose is covered in it):


Many entries ago, I told you about my mad Boy's plan to clean the world of litter. You might not remember it, but as it was so mad, I'm not sure how you could forget. He wanted to hire litter stalkers to follow litterers around for the day, picking up their rubbish. Then, at the end of the day, the litter stalkers would dump all the rubbish in their garden or on their doorstep, the idea that people would be shamed into not littering. Or know that it would always end up back with them. Today, my Boy had his first chance to try out this plan.

As we went for our Portobello walk, we saw this old man who was cleaning out his car throw two hubcap covers into the woods. The funny thing was was when he saw us walking by, he pretended not to be doing it and feigned a huge interest in a flowering tree. I mean, he knew it wasn't right! So, on the way back home, the Boy fished the hubcap covers from out of the woods and put them on the man's car. Hope it scares the hell out of that stupid old man.

I'm so proud of my Boy.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm proud of the hubcap action too!! Wonder if the old dude threw them away again or not? Did you check?

Monday 10 April 2006 at 22:25:00 BST  
Blogger Autumn said...

Well, he's probably just thrown it back into the woods, but we never went back to check.

Tuesday 11 April 2006 at 23:53:00 BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no. i doubt it. if he was already showing guilty signs, he undoubtedly scurried away in shame. ha-HA.

i'm loving the study old chairs. you can always spruce up good solid old wood furniture. those chairs have loads of possibilities. so sorry you didn't get that splendid table. i love love love old furniture... take me with you next time, oh pleasie-please!

Wednesday 12 April 2006 at 07:31:00 BST  
Blogger Autumn said...

I'm off on Friday. I'll take some pictures and post on the blog.

Wednesday 12 April 2006 at 09:37:00 BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home