Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Bollocks, twice over

So, I lost my mobile. My lovely picture-taking, music-playing, email-sending 6-month-old phone. And I feel like shit. See, that's what they do, that's what they do: they suck you in. Six months ago, I was convinced I didn't need the damn thing. Today, I'm legless without it. Spend the whole day in the house, save the venture out to look for it again. Damn, damn, damn. And it's not like it's cheap. But that's not all. I uploaded 300+ songs on to the damn thing -- one by one. And had my ringtones the way I wanted them. And my profile pictures. And voice dialling. And a £50 2-gig memory card in the thing. No, they suck you in until you can't exist without them.

****

Yesterday I went to a 4th of July barbecue hosted by my one American pal, Pet. She's really funny cos she really keeps her Americanness. It's not like I don't want to... well, actually, I don't want to. There are some unsavoury things about the US that makes me want to say that I'm Canadian, eh? And anyway, 4th of July is my least like strictly American holiday. I have no use for fireworks.

Anyway, it was an embrace of all things American, which was kitsch and comforting at the same time. Doritoes and PB and J sandwiches served, unfortunately with strawberry jam, not grape jelly. Did I tell you it doesn't exist here? Nope, they've never heard of the stuff. S'mores -- the marshmallows are all coloured here, no pure white ones. But they left some things out. No potato salad or baked beans! Madness!

After our dinner and pudding, Pet did what we Americans, even without intention, always do: the speech. She called for us to all sing the National Anthem. Now, if I were back in the States, I would eschew anything so naff, but as I am here, it seemed a bit appropriate. We then went into the Pledge of Allegiance. As a teacher, I know all these songs, so I tried to bring everyone in on my favourite patriotic song, Over There. Unfortunately, no-one knew it (it's a great song).

The other unfortunate thing was this very annoying twat at the party. So this guy, while we were in our songs and pledge, started singing "God Save the Queen," the English national anthem. What a nob. Barbecue was split down the middle, half Yanks, half Brits. Most of the time, I feel for Brits who assemble with Americans, for the latter always spend their time moaning about how expensive it is to live here and how "they say things funny." It's right annoying and I try to limit myself from doing it. But this was an Independence Day celebration and all Brits there knew it, so I had no sympathy for them inundated with this American patriotism overkill. The dude actually reminded me of my nephew Zebedee -- not a compliment as Z's nine.

5 Comments:

Blogger Zandra Towns said...

I'm sorry about the phone. Hove you found it yet? I hope you do. I really got in to fireworks this year. Bill bought me a bunch of fountains and a lod of bottle rockets and Roman candles for himself. We went to a barbeque where Bill did his grillin' thang. then when it got dark we lit the bonfire and set off our fireworks with our freinds and thier fireworks. Good times except for the bug bites. No songs though.

Thursday 6 July 2006 at 03:21:00 BST  
Blogger Autumn said...

What is it about men and fire? Boy doesn't grill, but he sure as hell loves fire.

Thursday 6 July 2006 at 09:25:00 BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the caveman coming out, when they first needed fire for light, warmth and to cook. I'm glad you guys had fun at the BBQ with singing patriotic songs. We should be teaching those songs to our young to carry on the traditions, like carols for Christmas. It's a shame that those in their 30's and younger don't even know these long-time standards which I learned in elementary school. What up wit dat?

For Z: Singing around the campfire is a given, what's wrong? I know, no ghost stories and 'smores. The bugs should have stayed away from the fire, you must have strayed from the smoky area.

Friday 7 July 2006 at 23:12:00 BST  
Blogger svetlana said...

for the record, it was raspberry jam. :)

Saturday 8 July 2006 at 17:33:00 BST  
Blogger Gareth said...

God Save the Queen is the British national anthem, not the English national anthem

Monday 2 October 2006 at 17:14:00 BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home