Monday, May 23, 2011

What my heart wants

So it's my pal's Dyvie's birthday on Wednesday and she's invited us round for a potluck dinner. I was at a loss about what to bring. I haven't been cooking that much lately, save Saturday night when some pals came round for a supper party. I say supper party as opposed to dinner party cos I can't cook dinner. Dinner is formal and shit, with warmed plates and no spills on the dishes. Supper is some stuff ya slap together that is tasty as hell and filling. So it was the latter. My stomach was in pain for several hours after dinner for all the food I ate. Boy suggested the party play a board game. "Nah!" I finally yelled, after his third try, "Man, we don't wanna move!"

I was keen on a seasonal dish for Dyvie's potluck, as I was the theme for Saturday's cooking. No heavy foods, like cassaroles or heavy meat, just spring time and light. So we had some asparagus and tomatoes in the fritatta; some spring onions and baby new potatoes in a nice light potato salad. So I settled on the potato salad for Dyvie's do, which received lovely compliments at supper (in fact, Boy and I fought over the leftovers). But I wanted to bring something else with the potato salad. I was watching a feature on Food Network's Unwrapped about Hungry Man frozen dinners and their most popular dish, chicken and mashed potatoes. It was then I realised that I wanted some fried chicken with the potato salad.

How very... urban, innit. Nevertheless, I FB'd Dyvie to tell her that I was bring fried chicken and potato salad. I don't know if she really believes me: it is rather... ehem... cliched. But the heart wants wot the heart wants. But my heart didn't remember how fucking hard it is to cook fried chicken! I've cooked it about three times in my life (once at Thanksgiving instead of a turkey - v odd, I realise) and it's a total pain. Wot do you do with the leftover oil? Is it cooked through? I'll have to cook it Tuesday night for Wednesday - will the skin stay crispy that long? ARGH - my stupid, stupid dumb heart and wot it wants.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Zandra Towns said...

I suppose a KFC or a (gasp) Popeyes is to much to ask for in Scotland? And what about the bisciuts? Not cookies! I mean real biscuits... with butter and honey?

Monday 23 May 2011 at 15:17:00 BST  
Blogger Autumn said...

KFC is very popular over here and if worse comes to worse, I will be making a trip there for some popcorn chicken. Popeyes is pushing it, my tidda.

I don't know if they have biscuits at KFC here, but I know they don't have mash potatoes. I asked for it once and they looked at me like I was insane. And then my friend Macca mocked me endlessly about it. The bitch!!

Monday 23 May 2011 at 19:03:00 BST  
Blogger Lorna and Iain said...

I love how the KFC story comes up every so often. Mash potato is big here with the Colonel. But so is the Double Down. You got them in Scotland? Or the States?

Tuesday 24 May 2011 at 08:19:00 BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

truly, one should never deny the heart its deep foodicle desirres.

yah, peeps who never made it have no idea what an art frying chicken is. i would really really have to love a man to fry him chicken. unless there was a frydaddy in the house, that is. i'm sure you know by now that NO, the skin will *not* stay crispy. and wot do do w/ leftover oil? why, make more fried chicken.

Wednesday 25 May 2011 at 03:56:00 BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. that was a lovely proofread comment. 'wot do do'

perfect

Wednesday 25 May 2011 at 03:57:00 BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home