Sunday, December 10, 2006

Lucky dip

It's been absolute donkeys since I've been here and done this, I know. If it makes you feel better, I think about you all the time. But two things happened. Well, really one: I can't be bothered.

Okay, that's not entirely true. I think I spoilt you and me earlier this year with my daily blogs. When I look back, I think I blogged so much cos I really hated my jobs, which was really affecting all aspects of my life. I needed an outlet for my thoughts cos I wasn't happy. It was my therapy, which I don't need anymore cos I'm much happier now. I love my job so much. As much as I loved it back in North Carolina. And I never thought I would ever feel that way again.

But there is one thing that I am not happy with in the new job: the lucky dip. Lucky dip is what some Scottish call Secret Santa. I vowed after last year that I would never do the lucky dip again. But here I am, doing it again. Would you like me to tell you why I have such little regard for the lucky dip? Well, you are reading this, so it makes me think that you do...

All Secret Santas that I have known have always encouraged a playful aspect. The very first time I did it, I gave someone a box of dog food -- with some bubble gum and candy at the bottom. That is wit to a 12-year-old. Anyway, any person that participates in Secret Santa knows not to expect very much in terms of presents. Well, not at my last job. With only £7, they expect Tiffany jewellery and Rolls Royces. Dog food would not be acceptable or thought of as amusing.

But when I began, I had no idea of this. And it didn't help when all the names were passed out, several teachers said, "Hey, who ever got *** should get her a vibrator! She said that she would like one!" Yes, I got ***. No, I did not get her a vibrator. I have more sense than that. As amusing as that would be, it would still be icky. But I had a good think about it. I ended up buying her a tin of some biscuits that I noticed she really enjoyed. And an electric toothbrush. The note said something like, "I heard what you wanted, so I thought I'd get you this a multi-tasking tool." Did not go down well. At all. So badly that I felt such guilt to buy her another gift.

And now, the lucky dip again this year. Pray for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Zandra Towns said...

I'm so glad you are happy in your job again. Maybe the teachers at your new school won't be so uptight about the secret santa gifts. Have you asked anyone what the teachers normally get at this school?
Bill is in San Diego at the Cell Bio conference. He's had 4-3 interviews and he really likes this one prof from the U. of west virginia. So, I'm probably going to be living in WV for the next 2-3 years. I'm ok with that. He sounded so excited over the phone!

Tuesday 12 December 2006 at 22:31:00 GMT  
Blogger Autumn said...

We're really pleased for Bill. And you.

Wednesday 13 December 2006 at 08:12:00 GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home