Monday, March 27, 2006

My predicament

While I am thankful to have the permanent teaching position I have, especially in Edinburgh (v tough), there are drawbacks. First, I'm only employed part-time -- major pain. Second, and biggest of all, it's a long commute. We don't have a car here (no valid driver's licenses, the both of us), so I take two buses to get to work, or have to walk 10 minutes then catch a bus. Door-to-door, it can take me 35-50 minutes in the morning, 45-60 minutes coming home. Thankfully, I have no qualms about sleeping on the bus.

A third problem with my job has just recently sprung up and appears only to be a problem tomorrow: strike. Yes, over 200,000 workers across Scotland will be picketing against changes in the pension scheme. Teachers will not be affected (different union), and so are required to be at work, while the dinner ladies, janitors, nursery nurses (nursery assistants) will not.

I have no way to get there. I am not paying for a taxi to and from work -- I'll pay more for the taxi than I would earn that day. Plus, with the Boy being from Yorkshire (i.e., mean), 'taxi' is a curse word (along with the words 'full price'). No-one who I work with lives anywhere near me -- the school's in the south-west of the city; I live in the north-east. (Thanks to Mapquest for the map, obviously)

Image hosting by Photobucket


I sent an email to all staff at the seven or so schools that are reasonably close to me, asking for a lift. No answers. And it ain't like I can call in a sick day on this one. Bottom line: if I don't work, I don't get paid, even if I'm permanent.

There's only one solution. The council has a policy if teachers cannot make it to their school because of inclement weather: they go to their nearest school and work. Yeh, there ain't no way you's gettin' something for nuttin' over here! I know people who have actually had to do this; they found themselves making copies all day, which they found really aggravating.

I'm actually pleased about the whole thing. I mean, what's there not to like? I'm waking up an hour later than normal, getting home hours earlier, and, what, I'm going to make copies? Oooo, sounds so hard. I've got all my fingers -- and toes -- cross that no-one calls early tomorrow morning to offer me a lift and ruin my beautiful day.

Learn to talk British!

Mean - tight with money; stingy

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you really need to get a vespa. i can just see you on a vespa with your lil helmet.

Tuesday 28 March 2006 at 02:53:00 BST  
Blogger Autumn said...

I really wanted one and when I got this job, I initially begged the boy for one. But then if I did, he said I would have to ride it every day no matter what. No way then. I mean, this is Scotland and it rains like every other second. He wouldn't even let me get a bus pass for days like that. And despite the potential for embarassment, I like being able to sit back, chill out and have someone else do the work -- and have a nap. I have a nap every afternoon on the way home. Nope, never missed a stop.

Tuesday 28 March 2006 at 08:08:00 BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home