Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Wish you were here...

It's a gorgeous day in Edinburgh. I write only of this cos we haven't had one in a long, LONG time. Right before we moved here, we had a jumble sale at our place on Lawndale Avenue. A woman who just so happened to have lived in our Edinburgh for six months pulled up for a browse. When the Boy found this out, he excitedly asked her to tell me how it was, hoping to reassure me. "Grim," she said, equally grim.

Well, I've never accepted that assessment of my city. It's a glorious place. Well, except for this month. Grim is definitively how I would categorise life here this March. There are spells of crap weather dotted through the year and some runs of it. But this has, by far, been the worst in my nearly three years.

Living in Edinburgh (Scotland, really) is like one big psychological experiment on conditioning. Our Sco'ish lives can be equated to a slot machine. When you stick ya money in, you don't get nuttin' back. But then there's that one time... and it keeps bring you back for more. Today was jackpot -- beautifully sunny. Warm! In fact, I was walking to my second job thinking it the sun was little too strong. That is was TOO HOT! That tells me I belong here: it was like 40 or 45 degrees and I'm hot.

Anyway, this would have been the perfect day for a visit. And now you've missed it.

Learn to talk British!

Jumble sale: yard sale, garage sale

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My job will have a jumble sale in April. Hubby is so excited--now we can get rid of stuff!! I'll get there one day, promise.

Tuesday 21 March 2006 at 22:59:00 GMT  
Blogger Autumn said...

I miss yard sales. They don't really have any here.

Wednesday 22 March 2006 at 07:16:00 GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh, 'jumble sale.' i luv it.

Tuesday 28 March 2006 at 05:48:00 BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. that's why you have ebay. ah-ha. still, tis not the same. do they have estate sales?

Tuesday 28 March 2006 at 05:49:00 BST  
Blogger Autumn said...

Nope, no estate sales. There is the rare jumble (yard) sale, but people give things to charity shops, have a car boot sale (like a flea market, out of their car) or might sell things on eBay or in a sale room (auction house). I've bought many a cheap thing from my local sale room and my FIL is a big supporter of sale rooms despite being totally rich.

Tuesday 28 March 2006 at 08:13:00 BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home