Monday, March 20, 2006

(One of) My pet peeve(s)

There used to be a woman who wrote a little flippant, throw-away column for the Guardian's weekend magazine. The column was one of two on the page. The other one was written by an older man and was supposed to be an older person's view on life. As she was apparently young, she was giving the younger generation's take on the world.

Thing was she was a really rubbish writer. How do I know this? Well, I can read. Secondly, all she could talk about was how shit the Sugababes were. I mean, c'mon, what a fucking easy target. This is one reason why I have no respect for Hadley Freeman, the woman who write the fashion "advice" column. Other reasons I have no respect for HF: the mumsy blouse she wears in her picture, while lecturing us for still wanting to wear flared trousers; how she can take 150 words to answer the simplest of questions. Anyway, I digress. I was speaking of Priscilla Kwateng, the poor writer. And the last way I knew she was crap is that now that her column is no longer in the magazine, she works as a stylist for the fashion shoots.

There were many, much too many many to go into this short forum, things she did as she wrote that would irk me, but the worst -- the ABSOLUTE WORST -- was her excessive use of full-stops. Now, how, pray tell, can one excessively use a full-stop. It goes at the end of a sentence and we speak in sentences, correct? Not Priscilla Kwateng. She. Never. Met. A. Statement. She. Couldn't. Break. Into. Annoying. And. Illogical. Sentences.

Look, I know it's unfair of me to target her. She is certainly not the only one who does it. See what caught my eye on the way to training tonight:
Image hosting by Photobucket
What is this supposed to mean? I just wanted to rip down this advertisement, screaming and stamping my feet.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zandra Towns said...

it's the teacher in you. I once sent you an email in college with no capital or puncuations as a joke and you flipped out on me!Well maybe not flipped out but i did get a strongly worded email back about the usefulness of the puncuations.

Sunday 26 March 2006 at 16:46:00 BST  
Blogger Autumn said...

They are helpful! Don't knock a good comma.

Sunday 26 March 2006 at 20:19:00 BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes... i am not alone in my loathing of that god awful woman!

the issue her abismal writing has thankfully been resolved, whether her topshop tramp styling will go the same way remains to be seen.

we can but hope!

Thursday 27 April 2006 at 01:49:00 BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home