Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Like an episode of the Simpsons

You know how they go (well, at least after Season 3 or 4). The intro scene or two only leads into the plot and has no bearing on the rest of the episode. So goes me now...

It's been a fucking big pain this floor sanding. I haven't cooked a decent meal in three days and I'm really yearning for -- shock, horror -- something good for me. The only thing I have to cook is the microwave and whatever they say about the microwave, ya can't cook shit in it. Baked potatoes, that's about it, and those have ran their course. The stupid floor is even causing a strain in my relationship. Boy and I rowed last night cos I did not show enough enthusiasm about the work he did on the floor (No, darling, really, it's LOVELY) -- it's pushing me over the edge.

We even forgot to buy the newspaper two days in a row and Friday and Saturday's the best Guardian days! (Monday's shite, save the Digested Read.) So I got online and put a wanted email for Saturday's edition. The next day, two nice people -- complete strangers -- replied and I managed to pick up Saturday's paper, albeit two days late.

And how in the world did I manage this? Freecycle. I love, love, lurve me some Freecycle. Here's the premise: you join an online group who's aim is to limit the amount of crap they put into landfills by offering their unwanted things to others. It's living up to the motto of one man's trash. All transactions must be free, so for a tightwad like me, it's really delightful. I managed to get a breadmaker by putting in a wanted email. First loaf was shit, but still, it was FREE. I managed to get rid of a TV, a screen and some frames, at least. But I have been stood up a few times by people promising to come and get something and not doing it. And I've done it too... I forgot to pick up the hot water bottle and I'm too embarrassed to contact the woman again. Free or not, it doesn't stop being from behaving like arseholes.

I was very Freecycle mad initially, but I've eased up a bit. And Freecycle isn't an exclusively Edinburgh thing. It's a movement around the world. Go to freecycle.org and you should find some info about your local group, if it does exist. If not, create one! Get some free crap and do something good for the earth. Go on, be crazy.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are the floors finished yet?

Wednesday 19 April 2006 at 21:48:00 BST  
Blogger Autumn said...

Kitchen sanding - yes. Still need to wipe the floor with white spirit to clear up dust residue (already swept and hoovered) then varish 1000 times.

Wednesday 19 April 2006 at 23:56:00 BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yerse, freecycle is rad. i believe we americans started it. heh. but the people standing you up is the bad part and i have scheduling problems... so sorry about the sanding rows. sounds like a great plot for a domestical reality show.

Saturday 22 April 2006 at 23:06:00 BST  
Blogger Autumn said...

Yeh, I'm not sure of the title, but the premise: See if your marriage can last as you sand the floors throughout your home.

Monday 24 April 2006 at 13:20:00 BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home