Monday, May 08, 2006

One step behind

I woke up yesterday with so many plans... all of them to be dashed. I really don't know what happened, but I just found myself one step behind, even today.

Wake up at nine yesterday morning, I thought that would be enough time to see my pal in the Capital City Challenge 10K. Maybe I should have realised that I needed to leave earlier. Maybe I shouldn't have stopped for the bacon and egg roll (man, those ones at renroc are banging!). Maybe I should have planned to meet her in an agreed location. Maybe I shouldn't have assumed her time based on how long I would take to run a 10K.

Well, I did all those things and found me and my doggies sitting on the 22, passing the race route and seeing not one runner. And missing her finish. I felt like a complete dick. I consoled myself with the thought that she was having a little get-together at lunch time. If I brought along a nice bottle of something, maybe she'd forgive me. Now that I had the time, I figured I would run down to the O2 shop.

Here's the thing: I've been trying to email on my phone. More narcissism on my part, cos if I can email, I can send stuff to the blog from my phone, keeping you, dear reader, constantly in the know. Seeing that I've received zero comments for my last two entries, maybe this email plan is a bit optimistic. Or far-reaching. Or hubristic. You decide. Anyway, although I apparently have the capability to email, I have, despite two phone calls to and an email from 02, yet to be able to do so. I figured if I headed down to my mobile service provider's shop on Princes Street, I would get some help.

No. Yeh, I received help. If that's what you call being stuck in the shop with Ash, who just read the online instructions (which I had already done before, and I eventually had to start helping him help me) before eventually being fobbed me off to some woman on the phone. "Just wait a minute," the O2 girl said,"This is my first time setting this up." Instantly instilling confidence in me that this process would work this time. "That should be you," she said.

No, no it wasn't dearie. But nice try. So now I'm late to my pal's. By the time I get back to the flat to drop the dogs off and head back, I get a text from my pal. Don't bother in coming just now cos I'm heading out until 3. Well, I was half-way to her's. So I trudge back home, tired and hungry. And when I do eventually get there, I missed all the food and only had crisps to tide me over for the night. That and champagne, of which I engaged in loads. Hey, it was a celebration!

So I woke this morning up, steaming. So, so unlike me. I don't know how to handle this! I don't do this! I'm now turning Scottish! And I spent today, yet again, one step behind. But this time, I know the reason why. Those sweet, sweet bubbles.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes we move too fast and really should be one step behind. No point in shooting yourself about missing whatever you did miss, just relish what you were able to "catch." You're day off was a relaxer that you probably needed. Looks like you both had a refreshing day, despite the cloudy background. I say cleaning the house should be the last thing to do. Life is way too short!!

Monday 8 May 2006 at 22:06:00 BST  
Blogger Autumn said...

That's ma. You're the best.

Monday 8 May 2006 at 23:41:00 BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home