Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Say and Play

First, I've finally finished assembling and commenting on my pictures from the Yorkshire weekend. Click here to see the slideshow.

****

Let's play "Say Then Play". I'll show you a British word (actually, I think these are all Scottish, but I'm not entirely sure). You try to say it, then listen to my pronouncation to see if you're right. We'll start with an easy one -- it's the name of a restaurant on the Southside that services nice Scottish fare:

    Fenwicks

You might have been able to get that one. It's quite easy. Try this one, a girl's name:

    Eadidh

Now try another girl's name:

    Mhairi

You won't see that one coming. Well, this one might throw you as well, the name of a a mainly pedestrianised avenue and one of main streets for shopping in Glasgow:

    Sauchiehall Street

(The first picture shows Sauchiehall Street, circa 1890; the other is modern-day Sauchiehall Street.)

How are you doing so far? Well, two more. This one is the name of a neighbourhood in Edinburgh:

    Corstorphine

I've saved the best one for last my friends. If you get this, you should think about changing your citizenship. He's the leader of the Liberal Democrat political party:


    Sir Menzies Campbell



And here are the answers. Hope you had fun.

this is an audio post - click to play

4 Comments:

Blogger sactownkid said...

Didn't do the audio test but loved the pics. I wish I could travel over there and check it out firsthand.

Found your blog through Manoa Missy, cheers!

Friday 28 April 2006 at 21:59:00 BST  
Blogger Autumn said...

Sactownkid,

Ta very much for the comment. You should listen. You'll never get the guy's name. It's crazy! As we say from my side of the States: "Come back now, y'hear?" Anytime welcome.

Autumn

Sunday 30 April 2006 at 11:58:00 BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo yo ming, whaddup, minzg. love it. you really should consider the mhairi although it would be a disaster in the u.s....

Friday 5 May 2006 at 01:37:00 BST  
Blogger Autumn said...

See, I could do it, but then someone would think it was a really ghetto name and call her "M'hairy." Ha ha!

Friday 5 May 2006 at 17:08:00 BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home