Monday, July 17, 2006

Freecycle brings out the evil in me

I think that I might have extolled the virtues of Freecycle to you before. It's two good things at once: getting free shit and recycling your things, hence its name. Using the listserv/forum, you offer up items or request things and people get back to you. My newest Freecycle "purchase" will be an oscillating fan that I'm picking up tomorrow.

That being said, there's some shit things about it. People say they are going to pick things up and don't -- that happened on my very first exchange and nearly put me off the whole thing; I've also done it, which means I can't bitch too much. The good stuff goes fast. Also, I rarely get responses for my Wanted postings. The fan is the first thing in a long time. Plus, all this goodness and light has a dark side: beefs do come up between people. And now I have my very own.

It started out so simply...

OFFER: lacemaking kit, baby gym, baby bath mobile,electrolysis kit
    Bit of a strange group - doing some attic tidying and the results are...

    Electrolysis kit by beautico - epen. Epen has cleanable tips and if you want you can buy additional sticky pads for treating larger areas.
    Didn't work on me, but maybe you'll have more luck.
Hey, I'm interested in self-mutilation in the comfort my own home, so I respond.

Autumn to Catherine
    Would be interested in electrolysis device, if still available. Where are you located? I'm only on the bus and I'm in Leith.

    Autumn
Now she was supposed to write her location in the subject of her posting, but she forgot. That's why I'm asking. Some of these offers are right out of town and impossible to get to.

Catherine to me
    We're in morningside - 11, 15, 16 and 17 all come near us if that's any help (as do 38 and 41)

    Catherine
A bit out of my way, actually. She knows this, as she tells me which buses I can take to get to her. But, I've got a bus pass, so no problem to get there.

Autumn to Catherine
    When will you be in this week? I can arrange my errands around this, if you tell me where and when you'll be available.
Catherine to me
    Evenings best - after 7:30. Or, if it's easier, I could hide it in our porch, and you can help yourself. Freecycle a lot of things that way and it's worked so far. When would suit you?

    C
Sounds like I'm in, right? This is mine, no doubt. So I end with this:

Autumn to Catherine
    I think the latter is the best option, as I will be trying to come during the day. Where about in Morningside do you reside?
I wake to get this:

Catherine to me
    Sorry - someone else offered to pick up tomorrow. If they don't turn up, will get back to you

    C
How would you be feeling? You've arranged all this with me and then... that? Incredulous? Well, it's out of order. Plus, the line at the end is the real kicker: "If they don't turn up, will get back to you." I was offering to turn up! And so, if they can't come, I'll get the sloppy seconds? Hell to the N-O. Here am I, responding:

Autumn to Catherine
    Thanks, but don't bother. I was under the assumption that I was the only one wanting it and if I knew that this was the situation initially, we both could have saved some time.
For me, that was it. But her response -- it kills me!

Catherine to me
    Charming!
How could I even be the one in the wrong? How?

Autumn to Catherine
    Yes, I think that saying that I could come and get the electrolysis, telling me which bus to get on, what time is appropriate me for me to pick it up and where you might have hidden it if I couldn't come, then saying that you've offered it to someone else is rather charming itself. I think considering, my response was a bit restrained.

    And with that, I think we can leave this issue be.
But I should have known what individual I was dealing with. If someone could be that two-faced, they weren't going to respect the fact that I was pissed off for the wrong they did. Here's the slapper now:

Catherine to me
    Apologies - I am sorry you feel this way.

    Sorry also if you didn't want another email

    C
This is obviously one wrong individual. Boy says I should leave it, that I won since she apologised, that I should take the moral high ground. Other than my mother, who will say the same, what do you all think? (Amah, you can leave your opinion too.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Zandra Towns said...

Leave it. Math is right, you won the arguement so you should just drop it. But as your sister, I know that it just KILLS you that this woman does not fully admit SHE was wrong and that YOU are the injured party. Right now she justs admits that you feel you are wronged, not that you were actually wronged.
But you should just drop it, really.

Tuesday 18 July 2006 at 04:02:00 BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You called it right. I would have dropped it when she gave it to someone else. But, I can understand your ire. Looked for my area but nothing too appealing--thanks for the site.

Ms. Willie will be spending the night 7/28 with Justina, Ms. Willie's cousin and cousin's son. They're on their way to FL for a "holiday."

You have a second cousin--Journey Jaray Huggins. Please keep her in prayer--born with spinal bifida (sp?) and hydrocephalus (water in the brain). Journey has had two surgeries so far (1 for each problem). She's a fighter.

Tuesday 18 July 2006 at 23:14:00 BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetie, sweetie...I think you may be mis-interpreting. Remember, the big problem with email is that you can't convey facial expression and/or tone of voice. You got annoyed because you thought you had a plan and it turned out she was giving the item to someone else -- okay, that's understandable. But it's not as if you'd taken the bus out to her place and found a note on the porch saying "sorry! gave it to someone else!" Remember that some people are more "free spirited" than others -- so maybe she figured it was no big deal. She may have been genuinely surprised by the tartness of your response...and she may also have been genuinely apologetic to have ruffled your pretty little feathers!

Just think of it as time and effort saved and take a deep cleansing breath and remember not to sweat the small stuff -- and this is very very small stuff!

The person who has the electolysis machine is probably going to get cancer from the radiation that the machine produces, anyway, right? And since the machine did not work for Catherine, she is presumably a hairy ape. So you are WAY ahead of the game, sweetie! Have a drink and let it go :-)

Thursday 20 July 2006 at 06:42:00 BST  
Blogger Autumn said...

Wrong answer, all of you!

Thursday 20 July 2006 at 08:42:00 BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't have it your way all the time, or you'll get a cardiac or stroke. I agree with Blakely, don't sweat the small stuff.

P.S. When is Math taking care of that little matter--still getting calls. Don't like it.

Thursday 20 July 2006 at 17:47:00 BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home