Saturday, August 05, 2006

My summer theme song

Like many, music adds the punctuation to my life events. Just arriving to the UK -- Sweet Dreams, My LA Ex by Rachel Stevens and Maybe by Emma Bunton. A painful break up -- We Need a Resolution by Aaliyah. Winter Olympics 1994, Lillehammer -- The Sign by Ace of Base. Hey, I didn't say these were great songs. Usually, the song is whatever was on the radio at the time, as I'm a pop music slut. There is no need for me to pretend I like anything remotely enduring or redeeming. I like crap pop music.

The summers I travel have theme songs as well. The summer of 94, just having graduated from high school and in Hawaii -- I Swear by All-4-One. The first summer we lived here -- Everybody's Changing by Keane. The funny thing about those two songs is that I partly hated them. But as they were the songs of their respective summers and played incessantly, they began to grow on my upon the 500th play.

More songs: the summer we travelled back to the States, 1991 or 92 -- Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. I remember the first time viewing the murky video, listening to Cobain's incoherent singing and thinking things would never be the same if something like that could be played on MTV. So, this summer's full-stop: Ain't No Other Man by Christina Aguillera. The catcy tune was on MTV left and right as we travelled through France. Plus the little beret she wears in the video, though stereotypical this might be, reminds me of French people. Though why the French watch MTV in German is beyond me (obviously it was broadcast in German, but why is it shown in France is the question). Here, you can have a taste of my summer song:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to the song association with periods in my life. Some of the songs you were naming I'd probably heard them, but don't know the name or the group. As I'm getting older, I can't readily recall song associations to current time, but sure remember in the mid-70s thru 80's. I guess you pick up from there.

Monday 14 August 2006 at 23:26:00 BST  
Blogger Zandra Towns said...

Enjoy this while you can. I heard on NPR today(I love NPR!) that after age 35 people are much less likely to be adventuresome and pick up new things, like music and unfamilliar foods. But it doesn't happen to everyone like that and I hope you are one of the lucky few who has a summer theme song well in to your 50's.
'Cuse someone in the family needs to relate to my children in their teenage years and I give that job to you. Haha.

Wednesday 16 August 2006 at 02:46:00 BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home