Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Surprise, surprise, surprise

It's AB-solutely glorious here. It's a wonderful 64°F, sunny and gorgeous. It's been a loverly week, but I've been pushing it wearing open-toe sandals and my hands were freezing. But not today. Wherever you are is a miserable hell-hole compared to our fair and sunny Edinburgh today! I mean, a great temperature, no humidity, the sun shining. How about them apples, Americans? Everything is great in the world -- until Monday, when the temperature plunges to 50° and it's pissing it down. But until then, we rock over here!

I've been busting my ass cos I've had to get some assessment reports finished for yesterday. I stayed until five on Monday trying to get it done. I won't go into my usual rant, but suffice to say all three pupils I tested have have dyslexia! Yippee! Anyway, handed the reports in -- ON TIME, mind you. Today, my boss comes to me. Got the reports and they're good. Very good. In this voice as if I were some "dyslexic" kid who suddenly read a book correctly for the first time. You know, the raising of the voice at the end? I was a little insulted. I am a professional, dammit. And a writer. Just read the friggin' blog!

But that episode highlights another element of my personality that I've just been realising: I'm better writing my thoughts out. To be honest, I was rather enjoying working on those reports, and I have never said anything like that in my life. In all my years of teaching, I, along with the children, dreaded report card time. When you had 15 or 25 of them to do, there is no joy. There is no finessing of wording. There's no editing. It's just getting it done. The kid's called Neil and it's been spelled Nail on the report card? Oh well, you know who I be talkin' 'bout. But I enjoyed the process of sitting back and just working on the wording, making sure it expressed everything that needed to be said and, more importantly, what didn't need to be shared.

That brings me to another disclosure: I've been thinking about post-graduate studies -- for a while. But that's actually no stunner to the people who know me. Actually, when my brother got his Master's, my father turned to me and said, "Now it's your turn," as if I had drawn the short straw. Boy's definitely supportive of the whole thing; I think he's hoping that one day, I'll be bring home the majority of the tofrutti. Unfortunately, I'm just incredibly flaky. I'm interested in too many things: mathematics education; literacy education; science education; curriculum; educational psychology and testing. Then a few weeks ago, it suddenly hit me. I like to write. I even prefer it over speaking in many cases (and that's a shocker, cos I'm a serious yakker). So I've been thinking about liberating that writer in me. But not creative writing, though -- I've been afflicted with the most amazing case of writer's block that would make Harper Lee or JD Salinger look like they've been on a holiday. (It was so much easier when I young and carefree. Sigh.) But maybe something with a journalistic edge? Maybe writing for a magazine or newspaper features? Anyway, I don't know how to get into things, especially here, so I'm putting it on the shelf. Maybe I shouldn't leave it too long, though. After all, with that beb-by thing swirling around in my head, I better get a move on before word becomes flesh. No, I'm not preggers. Shit, that would be the biggest surprise of all.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weather's been shifting up and down here too. Sinuses have been acting up royally.

I like the idea that you're thinking of post grad studies. Yeah!! Whether you go thru with it or not, we love you achievements to date. You go girl!! Hope it rubs off on ztowns.

Friday 12 May 2006 at 23:03:00 BST  
Blogger Zandra Towns said...

Hey what is that suppose to mean!! eh?

Sunday 14 May 2006 at 21:14:00 BST  
Blogger Autumn said...

It means you're a slacker.

Monday 15 May 2006 at 22:28:00 BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just want you both to be all you can be. Higher education is always a plus in life. Look at how you both earn more than me, even when you're doing part time work in your fields. Hugs & kisses!

Wednesday 17 May 2006 at 20:52:00 BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yes. i just nyeww it. one day you would come back to reclaim the genius of blue moon fever. yerse. go, go, go! what about english education? then you can write and teach writing (God knows the world is in desperate need of people to teach writing) at the same time...one way or another. hadashi has a friend who has a mighty weird major at trinity. you should find out about it. you can read her blog at blackphoebe.com.

Friday 19 May 2006 at 02:40:00 BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeh, but you're still a slacker Z. Ha ha. From A,

Monday 22 May 2006 at 10:32:00 BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeh, but you're still a slacker Z. Ha ha. From A,

Monday 22 May 2006 at 10:32:00 BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home